The Connaught Rangers, an Irish Regiment of the British army were based in Galway, until they were disbanded in 1922. Though many Galwegians served in the regiment, it was considered that they had fought on the wrong side and their history was largely suppressed. When the cathedral was built in 1965, a discreet window was dedicated to 'The Devils Own' as the regiment was nicknamed. According to local lore, shots were fired at it soon after. It is a little known part of our city's cultural heritage. It depicts David and Goliath and the inscription 'In memory of all ranks who served in the Connaught Rangers "Quis Separabit" 88th 94th.